Re: netcdf on NeXT

> From address@hidden Mon Feb  7 13:54:44 1994
> Date: Mon, 7 Feb 94 13:54:06 MST
> From: address@hidden (Kelley Wittmeyer)
> To: address@hidden, address@hidden
> Subject: netcdf on NeXT
> Cc: address@hidden
>
> hi craig and glenn.
>
> i have been trying to compile netcdf 2.3.2 on my NeXT with
> absoft f77 but have had no luck, alltho i did get v 2.02
> compiled w/ fortran jacket last year.
>
> i emailed russ at unidata to see if he might be able to help.
> he said you two may have 2.3.2 compiled.
> if you do, would it be possible for me to grab the libraries
> from you?  otherwise, if you have time, perhaps you might
> offer some suggestions.

I'm sorry, I don't have a fortran compiler on a NeXT.
The fact that you got v 2.02 to work should be encouraging,
this means that the fortran interface jackets can be compiled.
(They haven't changed much over time.)
We also know that the v 2.3.2 C code works on the NeXT.
So, the problem is to convince 'configure' to compile the
fortran interface properly. This is easy :-), after all, it
is not like you have to write any code...

> my big problem is that the configure
> script made my machine (which is also the server and netmaster)
> crash and i'm a little nervous to try again.

It seems to me that a user running user code like 'configure' should
not be able to crash the machine. I would certainly show the
problem to NeXT. 'configure' doesn't do anything very fancy,
it just looks for programs in "the usual places" and in some
cases runs the C compiler. You might want to edit the configure
script so that it prints out what it is doing:
change the first line from
#! /bin/sh
#! /bin/sh -v

> if you're too busy, i understand.  just thought i'd check.
>
> thanks!  the mail between russ and myself follows.
>
> kelley wittmeyer
> dept of atmospheric science
> colorado state university

good luck