Re: netCDF and MS-Windows

Hi Tomas,

You asked:

> Is it possible to use the netCDF library in programs running under
> MS-Windows (what about file-io, XDR and other possible sources
> of problems). Has anyone compiled netCDF as a DLL?

and later:

> I sent a question to the netcdf-group the other day about
> netCDF and MS-Windows. I wander whether there is anything
> against using netCDF in MS-Windows programs.
> I have since then received a number of messages from
> peoble in the US that ask me to forward any response
> I get directly to them, so there seems to be a lot of
> interest in this question.
> It may be that the answer is as simple as that there
> are no problems in using netCDF in MS-Windows problems,
> but I that I don't know.
> Have you or some others that you know of tried netCDF in MS-Windows programs?
> Perhaps you should post some response to this question on the netcdfgroup
> since there seems to be a lot of peoble who are interested.

Sorry to take so long to respond to these, but I took a week off to go to a
conference and have fallen behind.  To answer your first question, I don't
know of anyone who has compiled netCDF as a DLL.  We don't have or use
MS-Windows here, so I don't even know what the problems are.  I can't think
of much of a response to post to netcdfgroup, since I'm ignorant of the
problems and issues surrounding DLL's or use of netCDF under MS-Windows.

If you hear anything about what problems are encountered, please forward
them so we'll have something more specific to which we can respond.  Thanks.

--Russ