Re: m4 problems building netCDF on LynxOS

Hi Frank,

> HELP !!!!!!!!!!!!
> i am currently trying to build the netCDF on LynxOS(v.2.1 & v.2.2) on 486.
> in make, while creating jackets.c from jackets.src, i get
> an error message,
>  m4: string space overflow.
> and exits the Makefile.
>
> noone around here knows about m4 commands, and i could really use your
> help.

We don't have any LynxOS systems to test on, so I'm not sure I can provide
much help.  Does your LynxOS system have a Fortran compiler?  If so, what
are you specifying as the OS macro in the netcdf/fortran/Makefile, which
determines which platform-specific m4 file you are using.  For example, if
you are using sunos.m4, that means you are assuming that your C and Fortran
use the same conventions as SunOS for calling C functions from Fortran.

If you have defined your own lynxos.m4, it's possible you neglected to
terminate a quoted string, which might cause the "string space overflow"
error you are seeing.  Another possibility is you have defined a recursive
macros that is improperly grounded.  If you send me the .m4 file you are
using, I might be able to spot the problem.

Russ Rew                                              UCAR Unidata Program
address@hidden                                        P.O. Box 3000
(303)497-8645                                 Boulder, Colorado 80307-3000