[McIDAS #UDT-874841]: Question about mctmp directory

Greetings,

> I noticed that we have a very large number of files and directories in
> /home/ldm/.mctmp. Do these need to be scoured regularly? And if so, for how
> many days do we need to save?

The purpose of the .mctmp directory is explained here (search for mctmp):
https://www.ssec.wisc.edu/mcidas/doc/users_guide/current/users_guide.pdf

In short, as the name implies this is a directory that is intended to store
temporary files.  The following line reinforces that notion:
  "The directory and its files are deleted when you end the McIDAS-X session."

Also:
  "The mcclean program is run to delete any inactive .mctmp directories it
finds and remove any shared memory segments associated with the directories.
Typically, there will not be any inactive temporary directories, but if a
session ends in a catastrophic manner (e.g., with kill -9) the temporary
directory may not be deleted."

So there is also a utility for cleaning up those directories.

As far as your particular situation, I think that's more up to you than
anything else, though I suspect most of what's in there can be safely removed.
I can't say for sure though since I don't know what's in that directory.  So
you'll have to use your judgement on if something should stay or go.

I will add that looking through SSEC's documentation that it feels like this is
in reference to a GUI session of McIDAS-X, though I could be wrong.  I don't
think you do that all too often, so it could be enlightening to check the
date/time on those files to see if it at all correlates to when you run a GUI
session.  I also know your site uses a lot of batch files and shell scripts to
invoke them, and it's possible those shell scripts are defining and using the
mctmp directory.  Since the full path you specified is /home/ldm/.mctmp, that
indicates these processes are running as the ldm user (do the files inside
mctmp match?).

I guess the bottom line here is those are probably just temporary files that
can be removed, but I cannot say for sure so you'll have to use your best
judgement.  There is other guidance on this topic in the above-linked SSEC
document that should help you better understand these concepts.

Hope this helps!

Best,
-Mike

Ticket ID: UDT-874841
Department: Support McIDAS
NOTE: All email exchanges with NSF Unidata User Support are recorded in the
Unidata inquiry tracking system and then made publicly available through the
web.  If you do not want to have your interactions made available in this way,
you must let us know in each email you send to us.