[McIDAS #NPS-161998]: Radar site location change in Louisiana, how do we update the database(s)?

Hello there,

Sorry for holding off on this a while, but here's the info you should need to
make the new site work.

McIDAS system files often have one of three extensions: .CORE, .SITE AND .USER.
 While the format of these would be the same, the hierarchy McIDAS uses is to
use .CORE files first, then .SITE, and lastly .USER files... and the later
reads overwrite duplicate entries from the formers.  You should NEVER edit the
.CORE files, and I'm pretty sure given your use-cases with the software it'll
make no difference if you use .SITE or .USER; choose at your discretion.  Also
remember there exists ~/data and ~/workdata; keep ~/data the way it is and make
any edits/additions in ~/workdata.  The logic there being if you install a new
version it can overwrite stuff ~/data but not ~/workdata.

So given that, you should have at least a STNDB.CORE file, and very likely a
STNDB.SITE file.  If you make a STNDB.USER file, anything in that file will
take precedence over the first two.  STNDB.CORE, and likely STNDB.SITE are in
~/data, if they are leave them be.  See which STNDB.SITE/USER files exist in
~/workdata and edit or make the one of your choosing.

Now, as for what goes into it, if you look at ~/data/STNDB.CORE you'll see
plenty of examples.  For radar sites, search for NEXRAD and you'll see those
stations listed.  You can just copy/paste a line from there into your other
open file, and edit the site for the details of HDC.  Here's what I entered in
mine:

# HAMMOND, LA NEXRAD
ID=HDC LATLON= 30:31:10 90:24:27 ULATLON= 30:31:10 90:24:27 ELE=43 UELE=43
ST=LA CO=US NAME='Hammond, Louisiana' DATATYPE=NEXRAD

To verify if this worked, run the STNLIST command.  Here's an example from
before I edited my STNDB file:

$ stnlist.k ST=LA TYPE=NEXRAD
IDN   ID     Station Name         Data Types        ST CO LAT        LON
 ELE
----- -----  -------------------- ----------------- -- -- ---------- ----------
 ----
 ---  LCH    LAKE CHARLES                 N         LA US   30:07:31   93:12:57
    5
 ---  LIX    NEW ORLEANS/BATON RO         N         LA US   30:20:12   89:49:32
    7
 ---  MSY    New Orleans TDWR             N         LA US   30:01:19   90:24:11
   30
 ---  POE    Fort Polk                    N         LA US   31:09:20   92:58:33
  124
 ---  SHV    SHREVEPORT                   N         LA US   32:27:03   93:50:29
   83
Number of stations listed: 5
stnlist.k: Done

And after:

$ stnlist.k ST=LA TYPE=NEXRAD
IDN   ID     Station Name         Data Types        ST CO LAT        LON
 ELE
----- -----  -------------------- ----------------- -- -- ---------- ----------
 ----
 ---  HDC    Hammond                      N         LA US   30:31:10   90:24:27
   43
 ---  LCH    LAKE CHARLES                 N         LA US   30:07:31   93:12:57
    5
 ---  LIX    NEW ORLEANS/BATON RO         N         LA US   30:20:12   89:49:32
    7
 ---  MSY    New Orleans TDWR             N         LA US   30:01:19   90:24:11
   30
 ---  POE    Fort Polk                    N         LA US   31:09:20   92:58:33
  124
 ---  SHV    SHREVEPORT                   N         LA US   32:27:03   93:50:29
   83
Number of stations listed: 6
stnlist.k: Done

Since everything lines up and looks like the others, this ought to do it.  I
don't have any data for HDC to fully test this with, but I can see from the
above that McIDAS has all the info it should need.

Best,
-Mike

Ticket ID: NPS-161998
Department: Support McIDAS
NOTE: All email exchanges with NSF Unidata User Support are recorded in the
Unidata inquiry tracking system and then made publicly available through the
web.  If you do not want to have your interactions made available in this way,
you must let us know in each email you send to us.