[LDM #IDA-339562]: how to use ldmadmin watch and monitor product latency when unattended

Hi Donna,

re:
> Is there a way to grab the output from `ldmadmin watch` say from a cron
> script  _and_  be able to stop the ldmadmin watch after 60 seconds?

No, not directly.   You could run a shell script from cron that kicks off
'ldmadmin watch' and then backgrounds it and then sleeps for the desired
amount of time and then wakes up and kills the 'ldmadmin watch' invocation.
You could do the same sort of thing using 'notifyme' instead of 'ldmadmin
watch'.
Running 'notifyme' would make it easier/more straightforward to specify the
log file to write to.

re:
> I am referring to:
>
> From:
> http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/software/ldm/ldm-current/basics/monitoring.html
> Using ldmadmin watch
>
> The ldmadmin
> <http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/software/ldm/ldm-current/basics/glindex.html#ldmadmin>
> utility
> can be used to monitor the data-product latency
> <http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/software/ldm/ldm-current/basics/glindex.html#data-product
> latency> of incoming data:
>
> ldmadmin
> <http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/software/ldm/ldm-current/basics/glindex.html#ldmadmin>
> watch
> (Type ^D or ^C when finished)
>
> The output is in the form
>
> *MMM DD hh:mm:ss *pqutil
> <http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/software/ldm/ldm-current/basics/glindex.html#pqutil>
> :* nbytes YYYYMMDDhhmmss.sss ft seqno pid*
>
> where:
>
> *MMM DD hh:mm:ss*is the month, day, hour, minute, and second when the line
> was printed.*nbytes*is the size of the data-product
> <http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/software/ldm/ldm-current/basics/glindex.html#data-product>
> in
> bytes.*YYYYMMDDhhmmss.sss*is the data-product creation-time
> <http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/software/ldm/ldm-current/basics/glindex.html#creation-time>
> of
> the data-product
> <http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/software/ldm/ldm-current/basics/glindex.html#data-product>
> .*ft*is the feedtype
> <http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/software/ldm/ldm-current/basics/glindex.html#feedtype>
> of
> the data-product
> <http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/software/ldm/ldm-current/basics/glindex.html#data-product>
> .*seqno*is the sequence number of the data-product
> <http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/software/ldm/ldm-current/basics/glindex.html#data-product>
> (and
> usually unimportant).*pid*is the data-product identifier
> <http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/software/ldm/ldm-current/basics/glindex.html#identifier>
> of
> the data-product
> <http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/software/ldm/ldm-current/basics/glindex.html#data-product>
> .
>
> By comparing the two timestamp fields, one can get an idea of the data-product
> latency
> <http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/software/ldm/ldm-current/basics/glindex.html#data-product
> latency>.
>
> I do not have IDD stats because we have a limited amount of storage space.

If you are trying to get a handle on product latencies, then using 'notifyme'
might
be easier.

Ticket ID: IDA-339562
Department: Support LDM