[Support #WGL-271476]: Creating a Bundle in IDV for Exporting Multiple Variables

> [...]
> >
> > We are an institution dedicated to safeguarding the use of hydrological
> > resources in the Argentine Patagonia. Currently, we utilize software (IHMS)
> > for calculating river flow that incorporates parameters such as
> > precipitation and average temperature to estimate snowmelt and snow
> > formation.
> >
> > We have over a hundred meteorological stations installed across the
> > mountain range at various altitudes and on slopes facing different cardinal
> > points. The data from these stations was originally used to calibrate the
> > previously mentioned runoff software, by analyzing different snow and rain
> > events that occurred in recent years.
> >
> > Because the mean temperature threshold is so crucial for determining
> > snowmelt, we strive to adjust the models as accurately as possible to avoid
> > introducing errors into the equations, which could then lead to
> > inaccuracies in the resulting flow calculations. Thus, we aim to select
> > temperature variables that best reflect the actual mean temperature
> > measured by each station.
> >
> > Initially, our process involved extracting a specific set of variables from
> > the GFS via the TDS catalog. We defined the spatial area, extracted all the
> > data for that specific area, and then performed interpolation to find the
> > pixel whose coordinates best matched the real coordinates of each station.
> >
> > For instance:
> >
> > [image: image.png]
> > *Extraction of a variable for a whole spatial area.*
> >
> > [image: image.png]
> > *Extracted .xls file. One value for each pixel contained in that area.*
> >
> > [image: image.png]
> > *For each meteorological station we select the pixel that best approaches
> > its actual location.*
> >
> > However, this method presented two issues: For stations located in valleys
> > (low altitudes) within areas surrounded by high mountains, the temperatures
> > provided tended to be much lower compared to the actual temperatures
> > recorded by the station. We believe, although we may be mistaken, that this
> > is because, with such heterogeneous heights, the pixel averages the
> > altitudes and tends to provide low temperatures based on that average. As a
> > result, the station, being at a lower point, generally records a higher
> > temperature.
> >
> > This issue is greatly resolved when each variable extraction is specific,
> > meaning when the exact coordinate of the station is inputted (even with the
> > limitation of the IDV of a single digit after the comma). To achieve this,
> > we plot the variable in question, locate the exact coordinate, and then
> > extract the data. These extracted data perform much better than those
> > representing the entire pixel where the station is located.
> >

> > [image: image.png]
> > *First we graph all the needed variables for one exact geographical point*
> >
> > [image: image.png]
> > Then we extract those variables from that specific point.

Dear Fernando,

I appreciate your follow-up email and now I have no trouble viewing the images.
It seems that our support software may
have inadvertently removed the images.

Your first approach to data extraction seems promising. However, I'd like to
draw your attention to a couple of settings
that could enhance the accuracy of your results:

Edit > Preferences > Formats & Data
1) Lat/Lon format as: ##0.000
2) Sampling Mode: Weighted Average

These adjustments should provide you with more precise location data. Since the
model output resolution is on a coarse grid,
utilizing the weighted average sampling or exploring a downscale algorithm will
likely yield better results.

> > The second issue we encountered is that temperature variables with a
> > specific altitude (surface, 2m, etc.) provide values that do not correspond
> > accurately to those recorded by the stations. We have been experimenting
> > with isobaric temperatures for some time now, which, although they respond
> > much better, exhibit significant isolated variations during major
> > precipitation events. We have observed that these variations may be related
> > to the estimation of surface pressure. We have observed that when the
> > surface pressure is very low, the corresponding temperature becomes that of
> > an isobar corresponding to a lower pressure as well.

I am totally surprised that isobar temperature yields better result, I wonder if
the selection of weighted average sampling can improve the result extracting
from
surface temperature.

> > We are trying to find a relationship that allows us to determine which
> > isobaric temperature or specific height temperature best reflects the
> > actual temperature recorded by the station, in order to feed the runoff
> > model with the forecast that best reflects reality.
> >
> > In conclusion, we must extract isobaric temperatures, as well as other
> > meteorological parameters, manually for each of the more than one hundred
> > points corresponding to the stations. This becomes a limitation when
> > calculating the necessary data to model a rainfall event that could have
> > serious consequences, and for which time is crucial. Hence, my inquiry
> > about the method of extracting numerous variables corresponding to a
> > specific coordinate to an excel file.

There's no need for manual handling of a hundred stations. The IDV offers a
scripting method (ISL) precisely
for such tasks, making it much simpler. Before I can offer a sample, I'll need
to revisit the ISL syntax.

On another note, have you ever explored NCAR's hydro model, WRF-Hydro, for your
research purposes? It could
potentially offer valuable insights.

Best regards,
Yuan