20001102: 20001018: linux gempak

>From: <address@hidden>

>Steve,
>  Hi, i've finally gotten the computer guy here at CSU to set up KDE for
>me instead of GNOME on Linux. I'm still experiencing color allocation
>issues. We cut down on colors with KDE and I've tried starting NTL with
>"ntl -s 64" but it fails to work on Linux. How have you guys set things up
>on the Linux machines you tested GEMPAk5.6 on?
>
>Thanks,
>  Steve Saleeby
>
>--
>"The eternal God is our refuge, and underneath are the
>everlasting arms."    -Deuteronomy 31:27-
>
>Stephen Millican Saleeby  (address@hidden)
>3501 S. Stover  Apt 3-54  (H):970-267-9302) (W):970-491-8588
>Fort Collins, CO 80525    (cell):970-231-0390
>
>Home Page: http://hugo.atmos.colostate.edu/www/index.html
>Gravity Wave Page: http://hugo.colostate.edu/www/gwave.html

Steve,
As I mentioned previously, you have to be running the X server with
default visual as 8 bit pseudocolor. You can verify that you do
have this set by running the "xdpyinfo" command and looking at the
output. If you are running in TrueColor, then you won't be able to run GEMPAK.

Try running the 5.6 program "freeColors". That will tell you how many
colors you have available (if you are in 8 bit color ....as ntl would
have told you).

I have GEMPAK installed here under RH Linux 7.0.

If you still have trouble, please provide the xdpyinfo result, along with
the freeColors output (and messages from ntl as well).

Steve Chiswell