20001101: Attention of Steve Chiswell-Question about LDM

>From: "Francisco Javier Soley Alfaro." <address@hidden>

>Hello Steve. The machine where we had to install gempak is not the best
>suited for the task due to speed, disk size and memory. Can the LDM be
>installed in another (more powerful) machine in the same local network?  I
>understand that that can be done with McIdas because one can specify by
>protocol where the LDM is installed, thus enabling other computers to find
>the data.
>Following your suggestion I downloaded one  case study that involved only
>*.gif images. NSAT would not run because directories such as
>/data/ldm/gempak/imags/sat  are not defined. I'll wait until the LDM is
>installed and then I'll let you know how things go.
>Thank you.
>Javier Soley

Javier,

You can run the LDM on another computer- but will also need to run the GEMPAK
decoders from the LDM on that machine. You can run GEMPAK on any other machine
that NFS mounts the decoded data locations. GEMPAK does not provide any
other mechanism for remotely opening data files.

The satellite image formats that GEMPAK and McIDAS use are AREA files
from the case studies (GEMPAK can also read GINI format satellite images).
These files contain all the image navigation necessary
to project and display the images. Gif files are only for browsing. They
do not contain any navigation information for GEMPAK or McIDAS to use.

You can download AREA files from the case studies. You can view these in NSAT
by using the "User Defined" file browser to open the file for viewing.
If you don't have the $SAT tree set up, you should define $SAT to point
somewhere so you
can launch the application, such as setenv SAT /tmp.

Steve Chiswell