20001013: GEMPAK 5.6 available

GEMPAK users,

To celebrate Friday the 13th,
I have posted the Unidata release of GEMPAK 5.6 for download
in the gbuddy ftp account (binary releases for Linux and X86
will be posted shortly).

The GEMPAK web pages have been updated to provide information
regarding the new features of GEMPAK 5.6, as well as installation
instructions and pattern/action examples for configuring
the LDM pqact.conf file for data use with GEMPAK. These
web pages can be found at:
http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/packages/gempak/GEMPAK5.6

Online documentation in HTML and PDF format is also provided.

This distribution encompasses many new developments and enhancements from
previous versions. Users should consult the "Whats New" section of the web
pages
for highlights of the new features, programs, and changes to existing
parameters. I have provided examples of REDBOOK graphics, as well as a
instructions for sending these products directly to a laser writer (including
tabloid paper sizes) for those sites wishing to explore what forecaster
products
are available currently in NOAAPORT.

As always, User Guide documentation is available in the doc/User_guide directory
of the distribution. To facilitate use at sites, I have provided this
documentation in PDF format. Sites can view these pages online, or print
a hardcopy locally with the Adobe Acrobat Reader(tm). You can
download Acroread freely
at: http://www.adobe.com/products/acrobat/readstep2.html

Over the next week, I will be updating the online tutorial to
cover the new features of GEMPAK 5.6.

Please send questions to address@hidden.

Steve Chiswell
Unidata User Support