20000823: edit duplicate observations

>From: address@hidden

>Is there any way to edit duplicate observations out of a GEMPAK ship style
>file?  The only thing I can think of is to write a text file with sflist
>and edit it by hand.  Since this process would be rather time consuming,
>I was wondering if there is an easier way.
>
>Donna Tucker                      http://chinook.phsx.ukans.edu/tucker.html
>address@hidden      Department of Physics and Astronomy
>(785) 864-4738 (new area code!)    University of Kansas
>(785) 864-5262 (fax)               Lawrence, KS  66045-2151

Donna,

Determining a duplicate with ship style reports is somewhat unique to
the data sets. For the DCACARS and DCSYNOP decoder, I determined if the
same station ID existed at the same slat and slon for the same time, then
it was likely a duplicate. However for DCNLDN, no attempt is made to search
for duplicates since it is possible to have multiple strikes at a location/time.

The best solution I would have is to sequentially take each observation
from the old file to a new file, and check similarly to the
DCACARS/DCSYNOP method:

        isdup = 0
C       see if  time already exists in output file
        CALL SF_STIM(iflno, dattim, ier)
        if(ier.eq.0) then
                CALL SF_SSTN(iflno,stn,stid,stnm,slat,slon,selv,ier)
C               /* station id/time already exists */
                if(ier.eq.0) then
                        latdif = abs(slat - report_Lat)
                        londif = abs(slon - report_Lon)
                        if((latdif .lt. .0010).and.(londif .lt. .0010)) then
C                       /* isdup can be set to not store data already received
*/
                           isdup = 1
                        endif
                endif
        endif

        if(isdup .eq. 0) then
                CALL
SF_WSDD(iflno,dattim,stid,stnm,slat,slon,selv,state,coun,itim,
     +                       dataray,ier)
        endif

Steve Chiswell