20000721: RCM garp display/brightness legend

>From: Dana Price <address@hidden>

>2 quick questions..
>
>1.) Is there any way to make the brightness legend flush with the top &
>bottom of a gpmap satellite image?  It's currently too large in the
>vertical direction, and extends beyond the actual picture creating extra
>blank space in the .gif.  I noticed that CLRBAR isn't supported in gpmap.
>
>2.) Can Garp display RCM data?  If so, does it need to be in an NSAT
>compatible tree?
>
>Thanks in advance,
>
>Dana Price
>-----------------------------------
>Asst. Systems Administrator
>Dept. of Environmental Sciences
>Center for Environmental Prediction
>-----------------------------------

Dana,

The colorbar for satellite images is coded in the image drop imdrop.f
routine, and is not controled by the CLRBAR parameter such as the one
in the grid programs for color fills.

The setting for the location and size of the bars the last call in the
$GEMPAKHOME/source/gemlib/im/imdrop.f routine, which is hardcoded as:
C*      Draw color bar
        CALL IM_CBAR ( '1/V/LL/0;.05/.90', idcols, ier )

One way to be able to define your own colorbar on the fly would be to
modify the code to accept an environmental variable using the fortran
getenv command:

GETENV(3F)                                            Last changed: 10-2-98

NAME
     getenv - get value of environment variable

SYNOPSIS
     subroutine getenv (ename, evalue)
     character *(*) ename, evalue
DESCRIPTION
     getenv returns the character-string value of the environment variable
     represented by its first argument into the character variable of its
     second argument.  If no such environment variable exists, all blanks
     will be returned.

Typicaly, you could check to see if the variable is set, and if it is, use that
as the argument to the IM_CBAR call, otherwise, use the default.

Garp does not display RCM data. The gprcm program is one that I wrote to
be able to display the data, and is not part of the GUI. Is is not an image.
Taher, it is individual reports for each radar giving location of each radar
echo along with mesocyclone and TVS locations, cell movements, maxtops etc.
There are RCM VIP grids in the data stream ( HAXA00 KWBC ). The RCM grids can
be
displayed in Garp, however the grid used is ~165000 grid points.
The LLMXGD values I define by default in $GEMPAKHOME/include/gemprm.$(NA_OS)
and gemprm.h are 100,000. This value will have to be increased to decode and
look at those grids. I have made this increase in the GEMPAK 5.5 release.

Steve Chiswell