20000716: Problem when several GEMPAk processes at the sametime

>From: Christian Page <address@hidden>

>Hi,
>
>  I have a problem with GEMPAK. i have 2 separate scripts that generates surfa
> ce
>plots with GEMPAK. When they are launched seperatly and if they try to plot at
>the sametime, I get overlaps between the two processes (I get maps of US in my
>european plots).
>
>Is there anything I can do to prevent that, besides running all the maps
>generation in 1 big script?
>
>Christian Page      finger address@hidden => tel. + adresse
>address@hidden    http://www.sca.uqam.ca/
>
>Assistant de recherche / Research Assistant
>Universite du Quebec a Montreal / Universite McGill / McGill Radar

Christian,
When you run GEMPAK programs, they create gemglb.nts and last.nts in the working
directory. Waht you probably are seeing is that the values from garea etc are
being changed on you.

The best way to handle script generation is have them create their own
work dirrectory. For instance, if you generate your gif files in /tmp,
your shell script could cd to /tmp, then make a temp working directory
(I generally use the process ID as part of the directory name to ensure that all
the work in that directory is unique. In a csh this would work like:

cd /tmp
set WORK=europe.$$
mkdir $WORK
cd $WORK

# generate gif, move it to web directory

cd ..
rm -rf $WORK

In the above, $$ is replaced by the process ID, so the work directory will be
unique.

Steve Chiswell