20000712: Sat maps

Tom,

The satellite images in the IDD data stream are in the MCIDAS data stream.
These images are stored to disk using a pqact.conf action for the ldm-mcidas
decoder LWTOA3.

If you are not currently storing the AREA files, then you probably need to
download the
ldm-mcidas.tar.Z distribution from our anonymous ftp area under
pub/binary/xxxx/ where
xxxx is your particular operating system (if you are running Solaris on a
sparc, then
xxxx is sunos_5.7-sparc for example. Follow the installation instructions.

If you alreasy have LWTOA3 in your ~ldm/decoders directory, then don't worry
about the
SCHEMA and
SYSKEY.TAB files are in your output AREA file directory.

Once you have the lwtoa3 program, then a pqact.conf action currently looks like:
# LDM-MCIDAS section
#
# AREA files
MCIDAS  ^LWTOA3
        PIPE    -close   decoders/lwtoa3 -d data/mcidas

The abova action stores the data files in the ~ldm/data/mcidas directory
with file names like AREAxxxx where xxxx is a 4 digit number. Thats
the way McIDAS looks at data. This is the directory that must have
the configuration files I mentioned above.

The AREA files use circular naming...eg GOES 10 visibles are AREA0120-AREA0129.

Any program, like gpmap, sfmap, gdcntr etc can display the AREA file image by
setting PROJ=sat and SATFIL to be the AREAfile you wish to view. Garp and NSAT
like the file
names to be more descriptive, with the data and type in the name. So, I
provided the
$GEMEXE/areaInfo program and the $NAWIPS/bin/scripts/nsat_links script to
be create symbolic links from the AREAxxxx file names in ~ldm/data/mcidas to
names expected by GEMPAK in the $SAT directory.

The nsat_links script is described at:
http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/packages/gempak/GEMPAK5.4/configuration.html

The $SAT directory naming used by Garp and NSAT is described at:
http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/packages/gempak/tutorial/nsat.html
(and http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/packages/gempak/GEMPAK5.4/data_directory.html)

The $SAT directory is set up so that the click menues in the GUIs can
provide you with a guide down to the files you are interested rather than
having to know
how the AREAxxxx file naming works.

I don't know where you are in the above process (if you have lwtoa3 set up,
etc).
Let me know if you need more information and anything you may need help with.

Steve Chiswell
Unidata User Support