20000713: Sounder products on IDD

>From: Tim Doggett <address@hidden>

>Hi,
>
>We've got the new DPI products from CIMSS up and running, and images are
>coming in without a hitch.  I've got three questions related to these images:
>
>1) Has anybody documented these images?  Specifically I'm wondering about
>interpreting the values.  Some, like the SST seem to be some variation on
>the raw pixel values (SST = raw / 10 perhaps... raw/100= pw in cm??).
>Some, like LI, I haven't figured out.
>
>2) Is there a way to change the color bar to read in units other than cloud
>top temp (especially in Garp)?
>
>3) Have any color enhancement tables been developed.   I can probably wing
>this one once I get #1 answered.
>
>4)  (OK... I said three questions.... this is a bonus!)  Is there a way to
>get the date/time of the files to match those of the other sat images so
>that surface data, etc can be overlaid in Garp.  I played around with my
>pqact settings a bit, but didn't manage to get things to work. (I think it
>is only a YYYY to YY issue).
>
>Thanks in advance for any help.
>
>-Tim
>Tim Doggett, Ph.D.
>Assistant Professor
>Texas Tech University's Atmospheric Science Group
>e-mail: address@hidden
>phone: (806)742-3477
>fax:      (806)742-1738

Tim,

I provided an updated version of areainfo for 4 digit yyyy naming in
~gbuddy/nawips-5.4/patches/areainfo.tar.Z. This can be downloaded to $NAWIPS,
unpacked and built with:

zcat areainfo.tar.Z | tar xvf -
cd $NAWIPS/unidata/programs/areainfo
make clean
make all
make install
make clean

If you want to update your file naming in $GARPHOME/config/Garp_defaults
to use 4 digit yyyy file naming, then areainfo will support this if you
use the nsat_links script (or equivalent). The png2area can output the file
names using either format.

To define per-product color tables by default, the $GEMTBL/sat/imgtyp.tbl
file needs to be updated for the new platform and product IDs. Note that
GEMPAK does not know how to scale the raw values to the calibration block.

Since the product ids were larger than the number of columns (6) allocated in
the
imgtyp.tbl file, I modified $GEMPAKHOME/source/gemlib/im/imrtbl.f to be able to
handle the product numbers expressed as 2**x
(see: http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/glimpse/gempak/3646).

These changes are all incorporated into the 5.5 distribution I am working on
at this time.

Steve Chiswell