20000710: Newbie Gempak question..

>From: Dana Price <address@hidden>

Dana-

>(I noticed you wanted newbie questions sent directly to support instead of
>the gembud mailing list..)

That's a good approach.  Even better is to make sure you check the
searchable support mail archives to see if you question has already
been asked and answered (in this case I couldn't find one).  You
can search the archives at:

http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/packages/gempak/help_and_documentation/ghgempak.html

>I've got a question relating to the creation of .gif images.  I've
>customized the script provided as an example on your webpage ("Creating
>images for WWW"), and run it with my data, in AREA format and
>following NSAT conventions.  Gpmap loops through once per each file
>specified, but when all is said and done, I have 1 gif image of only the
>last file taken by the loop.  I've tried such things as changing DEVICE to
>use the current filename as the output filename, i.e:
>DEVICE=gf|$FILE_sat.gif|350;300|||NP
>Which still creates only 1 gif image of the last file in the queue, even
>though each loop of the script completes without error.  I've included the
>script below.  Any input would be greatly appreciated.
>
>#!/bin/csh -f
>setenv DISPLAY 165.230.167.28:0.0
>source $NAWIPS/Gemenviron
>#
># GOES8 variable set in Gemenviron
>#   GOES images follow NSAT naming convention
>#     Platform/Resolution/type_yymmdd_hhmm
>#
>cd $GOES8/8km/WV
>#
>set CURRENT_SAT=`ls WV_* | tail -10`
>
># generate gifs in /tmp
>cd /tmp
>
>if(-e sat.gif ) then
>   rm -f sat.gif*
>endif
>
>foreach FILE ($CURRENT_SAT)
>
>gpmap << EOF
>MAP      = 1
>TITLE    = 1/-2/
>DEVICE   = gf|sat.gif|350;300|||NP
>SATFIL   = $GOES8/8km/WV/$FILE
>RADFIL   =
>PROJ     = sat
>GAREA    = usnps
>CLEAR    = y
>PANEL    = 0
>TEXT     = 1.2/23/1/hw
>LATLON   = 0
>\$mapfil = hipowo.gsf

>EOF
>
>end
>
>gpend

You need to close off each GIF file with a gpend.  If you move your
gpend to before the end above, it should work.  As it is now, the
gpend is only running on the last file, that's why you only see
that one with an image.

Don Murray