Re: 20000502: more on GEMPAK build failure on Solaris 8 x86

Steve,

Removing th GEMLINUX.h link did the trick.  I always had
a gemlinux.h link problem under Solaris 7 and SC 4.2
as well, but it was in another location (ldmbridge I believe)
and the error always indicated what the problem was,
like trying to make a link that already existed.
GARP starts, but I haven't had a chance to test it out,
it should work.  Pass along to Tom that McIDAS compiled
and installed successfully, but I haven't exercised it
thoroughly either.

Thanks for your help,
Robert
At 10:20 AM 5/2/2000 -0600, you wrote:

> [...]
>
>Its possible that "make clean" isn't clearing everything out of the
>directory, so that "make" assumes some things are already built.
>It appears that the compiler isn't being invoked because the archive
>members in vc.a exist- but the library catalog may be corrupted.
>
>Try this:
>
>cd $GEMLIB
>rm vc.a
>
>cd $GEMPAKHOME/source/driver/active/vc
>make clean
>
>(check to make sure that all the .o files and vc are removed).
>There seems to be an old GEMLINUX.h link in the directory here that isn't
>used any more- you can remove that. Everything left in there should be
>.c, .f, .cmn and Makefiles.
>
>At this point you should be able to build the vc library and driver-
>
>make all
>
>( you should see the f77 and cc invocations)
>
>If this fails, then there is really something wierd going on...
>though you really don't need the vc driver and you can
>delete it from the $NAWIPS/config/Makeinc.common DEVLIST
>definition.
>
>Let me know what you find.
>
>Steve Chiswell
>Unidata User Support
>

>>From: address@hidden
>
>>Here is the actual error during the 2nd build attempt(make all in
>>$NAWIPS)
>>I have not applied any Solaris 8 patches or SC5.0 patches.
>>
>>rm -f
>>/export/home/gempak/NAWIPS-5.4/gempak5.4/source/device/main/GEMINC:*
>>-n LINUX making in
>>/export/home/gempak/NAWIPS-5.4/gempak5.4/source/driver/active/vc
>>ar rv /export/home/gempak/NAWIPS-5.4/lib/x86/vc.a *.o
>>a - *.o
>>ar: cannot open *.o
>>        No such file or directory
>>ar: *.o not found
>>*** Error code 1
>>make: Fatal error: Command failed for target
>>`/export/home/gempak/NAWIPS-5.4/lib/x86/vc.a'
>>Current working directory
>>/export/home/gempak/NAWIPS-5.4/gempak5.4/source/driver/active/vc
>>*** Error code 1
>>make: Fatal error: Command failed for target `all'
>>Current working directory
>>/export/home/gempak/NAWIPS-5.4/gempak5.4/source/driver/active
>>*** Error code 1
>>make: Fatal error: Command failed for target `all'
>>Current working directory
>>/export/home/gempak/NAWIPS-5.4/gempak5.4/source/driver
>>*** Error code 1
>>make: Fatal error: Command failed for target `all'
>>Current working directory
>>/export/home/gempak/NAWIPS-5.4/gempak5.4/source
>>*** Error code 1
>>make: Fatal error: Command failed for target `all'
>>Current working directory /export/home/gempak/NAWIPS-5.4/gempak5.4
>>*** Error code 1
>>make: Fatal error: Command failed for target `all'
>>/export/home/gempak/NAWIPS-5.4%

* <
>Unidata User Support                                    UCAR Unidata
Program <