20000427: increasing the number of grids for nmc2 feed eta212

>From: "David J. Knight" <address@hidden>

>Hi Chiz (I'm assuming this will get forwarded to you ;-)
>
>Looks like I need to increase the number of grids that are
>allowed in a gempak grid file in order to recieve all
>the grids in the nmc2 feed eta grid 212 products.
>
>Do you know how many grids I need to allow for?
>
>I think I need to change MMHDRS in both
>$GEMPAKHOME/include/gemprm.h and gemprm.SunOS.
>Then recompile all gempak programs.
>
>Is there anything else that needs to be changed?
>
>Thanks
>David
>
>David Knight
>Department of Earth and Atmospheric Sciences   Tel: (518)-442-4204
>SUNYA   ES-228                                 Fax: (518)-442-4494
>Albany, NY  12222                              Email: address@hidden

David,

Increasing MMHDRS in both files is correct. Make sure you remove all
library file in $GEMLIB before rebuilding to ensure that the value
gets propagated everywhere.

In the 5.4 distribution, the max number of grids in a file was 10,000
and dcgrib can use -m 10000 to create the file with that size. I've upped
that size for the next release, and see that the combined NMC2/HDS 212
grid file I have for 12Z today contains 11,845 grids.

I've defined MMHDRS=30,000 currently for the next distribution thinking
about ACARS, NLDN, shef and other growing observations. If you have any thoughts
on that size, let me know.

Steve Chiswell