20000330: Incomplete grid 212 ETA output?

James,
What you will probably see in gdinfo is that the ETA212 grid file is full.
The number of grids in the ETA212 run is very large. The default
number of grids in a grid file that dcgrib is using is 1500, but you
can adjust that with the -m flag to the decoder. For now I have
-m 7500. The off hour 6 and 18Z runs on NOAAport have only been broadcast
through 33 hours, and through 48 hours for 0 and 12Z runs. Your 215 grid
through 33 hours is probably complete. I don't know yet if they will extend the
off hour run data now that all 4 eta runs are supposedly identical.

As for your parameters listed below, EATM is the verical coordinate for
entire atmosphere (as listed in $GEMTBL/grid/vcrdgrib1.tbl) and
from $GEMTBL/grid/wmogrib2.tbl, CLD is % total cloud cover.

Variables that have ACC_ are accumulations over time, rather than instantaneous
values. POP is in the ncepgrib2.tbl table for prob. of precip and SNDM is
the snow depth (meters).

Dcgrib uses the $GEMTBL/grid tables to convert the grib parameter and
coordinate numbers into the names that you see in the gempak files. If you
find a parameter that you don't recognize, you can grep for it in those tables.

In the wmogribx.tbl and ncepgribx.tbl. parameters that have "--" characters like
P--I have the "--" characters replaced with the accumulation time period, so
that precip appears like P06I, P03I. If the grib header states that the
parameter is
an accumulation, and the parameter name in the file doesn't have "--", then
it gets prepended with ACC_ to let you know that it is not an instantaneous
value.

Let me know if you need more info.

Steve Chiswell
Unidata User Support