20000307: GEMPAK Download

>From: address@hidden

>I would like to download and install the latest GEMPAK/NAWIPS software.  I
>have been to the ftp site and have looked over the GEMPAK homepage, but
>can't seem to find what I need to download.  Any help would be greatly
>appreciated.
>
>Thanks,
>Alan.
>

>        ****** Signature Tag ******
>
>        National Climatic Data Center

Alan,

Our current distribution is 5.4 pl 16. Our Gempak distribution is password
protected due to restrictions in redistribution imposed on us.

You can access the distribution at ftp.unidata.ucar.edu using the login: gbuddy
and password: XXXXXX.

Once logged in, the source distribution is: nawips-5.4/gempak54upc_pl16.tar.gz

Linux and Solarix x86 binaries are found under the nawips-5.4/binary directory.

To install the software, create a clean directory and unpack the distribution
tarfile. To build, edit the Gemenviron file and define the NAWIPS environmental
variable to be the top of your installation tree.  After you have the
distribution
built, you can worry about defining the other datafile locations.

After editing Gemenviron, "source Gemenviron" in your csh to define your
directory locataions. Verify that $NAWIPS is correctly set with:
echo $NAWIPS

The build Gempak with:
cd $NAWIPS
make all

when that completes, install the executables and clean the build tree with

make install
make clean

After building and installing, you should setup the Gemenviron data locations
for
GEMDATA, HDS, SAT, and TEXT_DATA. If you are running Gempak decoders from
your LDM, make sure the new decoder binaries from $GEMEXE are being used,
and the $GEMTBL station and packing tables are being used.

The last step will be to edit the $GARPHOME/config/Garp_defaults file
if you use garp to define the model_keys and proj and garea names
associated with how you store model data in your $HDS directory.
The keys are unique identifiers that match the file names in the HDS directory.
These are also used to define subdirectories under $GARPHOME/fdf/scalar and
vector
so that you have appropriate model fields for each different model.

Steve Chiswell