20000307: GEMPAK 5.4.3

Mark,

We are not distributing 5.4.3. We still support our users with 5.4.

We obtained 5.4.3 from the developers at NCEP solely so that we can work
on integrating our developments in so that we can provide the code
back to NCEP so that the features we need won't break with all the changes
that have been made to the core library. NCEP is still producing
new patch version at about 1 per month as a moving target. The main objective
here is that when NCEP finalizes a 6.0 release, we won't have to spend
6 months rolling our changes back in and then end up producing
a version that differs from the one that they produce (that has caused
problems in the past where the centers want some features that
we have, and our code won't run with their release). We will not
produce a release until NCEP has finalized a 6.0 release.

NMAP is the product generator that NCEP has been developing and
using with the national centers since 5.4.2. I do not have online
examples of this program since version 5.4 is still the version
we support and which my tutorial covers. NMAP has many features like
Garp- for producing plan view displays. It does not have cross section,
profile or time/height capabilities at this time. NMAP does have interactive
drawing capabilities for generating graphic products- this is a feature not
in Garp. The national centers use NMAP to generate products they are
required to produce. Since this capability is not part of AWIPS at the
present time, that is the area where NCEP is focusing their development
of GEMPAK, and what is leading to ongoing sucession of huge changes
since the 5.4.

Steve Chiswell
Unidata User Support