20000301: .gem files

Glenn,

The $HDS environmental variable set in Gemenviron points to the
directory with all the model data in it.

Presumably, you have grid files named like 2000030112_eta211.gem,
2000030100_eta211.gem, etc.

The model key for eta211 could look like eta211. Chosing that widget
will try to open all the files that match that pattern in the $HDS directory
to get a list of available forecast times.  The model keys need to be
unique...for example the ruc comes on grid 211, the ngm and avn too. Also,
the eta comes in on grid 207, 212 etc. so The default I sent out for model
keys like eta211, ngm211, ruc211, eta212 is an attempt to uniquely identify
each model. If you have tons of models matching the key, then that would be
a problem with the maximum number of entries in the list.

Steve Chiswell
Unidata User Support