20000216: profiler data

>From: address@hidden

>We have had trouble receiving the profiler data since the first
>of the year.  We have been set up to receive the BUFR profiler
>data.  Are we supposed to be getting profiler data from FSL
>instead?  We might want to get profiler data from FSL anyway
>to get better time resolution now that we have more disk space.
>Do we need to get permission from FSL to do this or can we just
>put the appropriate commands in the pqact.conf file?
>
>Donna Tucker                      http://chinook.phsx.ukans.edu/tucker.html
>address@hidden      Department of Physics and Astronomy
>(785) 864-4738 (new area code!)    University of Kansas
>(785) 864-5262 (fax)               Lawrence, KS  66045-2151

Donna,

I haven't been using the BUFR data since the NetCDF data carries
both the hourly summary and 6 minute data.

You probably want the 6 minute and hourly NetCDF profiler data that
is available in the FSL2 feed. The dcncprof decoder is used for that
data stream. All you need to do is add the FSL2 feed request to your
upstream host- you do not need to contact FSL for this data. The ACARS
data comes directly from FSL, so you would have to contact them for
that data.

If your upstream is not receiving the FSL2 feed, then we need to get them
to request it.

The dcncprof decoder doesn't get built by default since it requires the
NetCDF library to be installed on your system. If you have that,
then all you need to do is make sure the $NAWIPS/config/Makeinc.common
definitions for NETCDFINC and NETCDF point to the include directory
and library file for NetCDF. Then build the decoder with:

cd $NAWIPS/unidata/ldmbridge/dcncprof
make clean
make all
make install
make clean

The pqact.conf patterns for dcncprof are at:
http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/packages/gempak/tutorial/pqact/decoders.tbl

Thanks,

Steve Chiswell