20000210: new version of garp/gempak

>From: Frank Colby <address@hidden>

>Dear Support Folks,
>
>I am in the process of installing a newer version of gempak, in order to
>get the y2k patches and the new version of garp.  We run garp on a dual
>processor pc running solaris 5.6 (x86).  I ftped the X86 binary file for
>nawips-5.4, and put it in a new directory, where I am untarring the file
>now.  I presume that I won't need any compilation, so the make commands
>in the installation directions won't be needed.  So all I need to do is
>change the names of the new and old nawips-5.4 directories after the
>untarring and I will be all set?  (Of course, I will need to edit
>Gemenviron to set up the logical assignments to match the old
>Gemenviron).  Are my assumptions correct?
>
>Frank Colby
>UMass Lowell

Frank,

You are correct in that the installation of the binary generally lets you
untar, configure Gemenviron, ($GARPHOME/config/Garp_defaults, and go.

If you downloaded the previous version from us as a binary release,
then you probably alread have the fortran shareable libraries set.
Otherwise, its possible that you would be a message like libf77.so.x not found.
Those shareable libraries are available in the same directory that you
downloaded the distribution from. If you have previously been
running our binary release, then you eithert already have these libraries
on your syste, of you downloaded the libraries and placed them
in a directory in your LD_LIBRARY_PATH.

If you aren't sure about the above, you can type "ldd $GEMEXE/garp"
and it will tell you if it can't find any of the libraries required,
and/or where your old version of Garp is finding these libraries.

Steve Chiswell