20000207: Now on GEMPAK !!

>From: Rene Lobato <rlobato@200.13.36.34>

>It has been some time since we had our last communication, I am still
>working with McIdas and so far everything works fine. We are moving to a
>new internet highway and I hope with the new speed and a wider waveband
>UNIDATA be the new resource that we ha been waiting for some time.
>
>On the other hand we are starting to download GEMPAK but it has not been so
>straight, first we tought that it could be in the same place as McIdas,
>then we tried to download from the web but it requieres a password and if
>we type the one that you gave me it is invalid.
>
>Question: Do I have to have a different password for download GEMPAK?
>Question: For the summer workshop, am I  entitled for registration?
>
>Thanks guys

Rene,

GEMPAK is a separate package from McIDAS and has its own account and
password.

The download information for GEMPAK is:
host: ftp.unidata.ucar.edu
login: gbuddy
passwd: XXXXXX

After logging in, change directories to the nawips-5.4 directory
and download the current distribution tarfile: gempak54upc_pl15.tar.gz

After downloading the tarfile, place it in an empty directory and
unpack the contents with:
gunzip -c gempak54upc_pl15.tar.gz | tar xvf -

after unpacking, you can delete the tarfile.

Edit the Gemenviron csh script in the top directory
and edit the definition of NAWIPS and define this environmental
variable to be the name of the directory that you unpacked
the distribution into.

After editing the Gemenviron file to define the NAWIPS variable,
source the Gemenviron contents into your csh environment with:
source Gemenviron

After sourceing the Gemenviron file, you can build the Gempak distribution with:

make >& make.out &

This will build the distribution and log the output into a file called make.out.
You can watch the build progress by typing:

tail -40f make.out

After the build completes, install the software by typing

make install

then clean up the build with:

make clean

All the above assumes you have fortran and C compilers in your
executable path, and have these programs, make, X11 and Motif
libraries in the standard locations. If you have a non standard
configuration, let un know.

If you want to run the software under Linux, or Solaris X86, there are binary
distributions available under the ~gbuddy/nawips-5.4/binary directory.

Steve Chiswell