20000204: nawips and Level-III

Glenn,

The overlay of cities, and progressive map disclosure is what
we currently use Garp for, with map scales defined to add
count, roads etc as zooming in occurs, as well as annotations
of cities, WFO, surface stations, and range rings. Garp is a product
of COMET that SOOs and universities use.

Of course, you can do all of this, except range rings, with gpmap
for non-interactive generation.

The NMAP tool that NCEP provides has many of these capabilities
though progressive disclosure of maps is not in the current
release that I know of...nor are range rings. We aren't able
to offer this to universities yet until the next GEMPAK release
we get from NCEP.

Steve Chiswell
Unidata User Support