20000204: nawips and Level-III

>From: address@hidden

>Can n-awips display the radar images off of NOAAPort.   (is that GPMAP?).
>I have level-III products decrypted from NOAAPort, and I'd like to use
>nawips to display.  I know it can work form the WSI feed.....???   thx,
>Glenn Rutledge NCDC

Glenn,

No problem displaying the unencrypted NIDS data from NOAAPORT,
but you will need to strip off the WMO header from the NOAAPORT
distribution (since this was added to NOAAPORT but is not part of
the NIDS data themselves). The WSI data does not have any manufactured
WMO type of heading.

If your data is straight from the NOAAport feed, then you have
SDUS5x Kxxx DDHHMM
N0Vxxx
<data>

If you have data from our IDD which has the FOS wrappers added on, then you see:
SOH
seqno
SDUS. Kxxx DDHHMM
NOVxxx
<data>

The easiest way to strip off the leading 2 or 4 lines respectively is:

cat NIDS_product.noaaport | tail +3 > NIDS_product.dat
or
cat NIDS_product.noaaport | tail +5 > NIDS_product.dat

This is easy to do from the LDM using PIPE to a small shell script.

Steve Chiswell