20000119: Gempak

Ka Kit,

The DISPLAY variable is used by any program which needs to connect to the X
server.

It can either be setenv DISPLAY unix:0 or ip_address:0 or hostname:0.
In solaris, if you are not the owner of the console, eg someone else is logged
in to the console, then they have to allow you to connect to the display with
xhost + hostname, even if you are on the same machine.

What may have happened is you might have logged in the console using
the ldm account- and the McIDAS and Gempak accounts did not have
permission to display. Or, you have the incorrect ip address.

Steve Chiswell
Unidata User Support