20000119: Gempak

>From: "Ka Kit Lai" <address@hidden>

>I try open the Gempak GUI by execute the garp in $GEMPAK_HOME/bin/sol/garp
>and it said "garp: cannot open display"
>What will be the cause of that and how can I fix it? I didnt open any
>browser when I run this command.
>
>                                       Ka Kit Lai

Ka Kit,
Gempak needs to be able to connect to your X display. You should set your
DISPLAY environmental variable to your X host. Typically this is either
setenv DISPLAY unix:0
or
setenv DISPLAY hostname:0

You should always launch the program "ntl" as the launcher to click
on the Garp icon for starting Garp. The ntl launcher ensures that all the
Gempak programs will be able to obtain all of the colors they require.

If you launch ntl and it responds with a message
that it can not obtain the required number of colors, then you should
exit any web browser or other application that is tying up the
color table. You can also decrease the number of colors that Gempak will use
with command line options to ntl. The default is to reserve 128 colors
for satellite images. You can decrease this to 64 for example by launching
ntl using the -s option as: "ntl -s 64 &".

Steve Chiswell