20000111: garp colors

>From: David Fitzgerald <address@hidden>

>I just compiled and installed the newest patch level for gempak (patch 15).
>When running the new garp I keep getting the error "could not allocate image
>colors" when loading satellite images.  I'm not running any other programs
>that would use the color table such as netscape and have made no changes to
>CDE.  I'm running garp in CDE in Solaris 7.
>If I run ntl using the -s 64 switch then run garp from there the images load
>correctly.  Is there a corresponding -s 64 switch for running garp alone so
>I don't have to go through ntl?  Any other things for me to check on why
>images don't load normally?
>
>Thanks!
>
>Dave
>
>++++++++++++++++++++++++++
>David Fitzgerald
>System Administrator        Phone: (717) 871-2394
>Millersville University       Fax:     (717) 871-4725
>Millersville, PA 17551        E-mail: address@hidden

David,

If running GARP without launching ntl, then it will assume you have all 128
satellite colors available. If you cannot launch ntl without lowering the
satellite colors to 64- then this explains why garp has trouble as well./

In general, all the nawips applications should be launched from ntl for this
reason.

If there are applications in the ntl launcher that you do not want to make
available, you can comment them out of the $NAWIPS/resource/ntl config file.

There is no commandline option for garp itself to lower the number of
requersted colors. All the Gempak programs use a shared color map- and it
is the job of ntl to negotiate that colormap. Otherwise, all programs assume
they can get all the colors they require.

Steve Chiswell