2000110: Question on LDM

>From: "Arnold M. Hori" <address@hidden>

>Hello;
>I am in deep water here with software and am still under the weather
>due to some lung congestion.  Our LDM system did not make it pass 2359Z
>Dec31-99.  Initial attempts to fix up the pqact.conf file with the pqact
>patches you emailed on Dec30 have not worked; and trying the ldm-5.0.8
>binaries with our ldm-5.0 and Solaris2.5 (on a SS10) have not gone
>well. So I am in the process of getting a brand new Ultra 10 with Solaris
>7 configured to take over the LDM programs from Vision which is still an
>SS10 running Sol 2.5 and LDM 5.0. With the Ultra 10 (known as
>       verdant.soest.hawaii.edu) we'll be trying
>to use the ldm-5.0.8 binary and ldm-mcidas-7 to get things
>going.  Problems include getting files written with prefix YYMM at 1001
>rather than 0001 for all files.  Decoded Gempak HDS files getting output
>into a new subdirectories /data/gempak/hds/1000100 (& 100011)  but with
>filenams of the form 0_ngm.gem 0_thin.gem (for 00z files) and
>1_ngm.gem/1_thin.gem (for 12z files).  The gempak surface and upperair
files are getting properly created.  Haven't yet had chance to check on
>which patches our Gempak dcgrib has incorporated but will do that soon.
>I think that moving to the new configuration will fix those problems but
>one question I have is related to bringing up LDM on the Ultra-10 is:
>
>       Does the output files from the pqact child processes have to be
>       on the disk of workstation running ldm or could it be to an
>       NFS mounted filesystem?
>
>I recall being told during one of the LDM workshops (1991 or 96) that
>output files could not be to NFS; but I have not been able to find that
>restriction in the current LDM manual.
>
>Arnold Hori
>U.Hawaii Meteorology
>address@hidden

Arnold,

you can update your copy of dcgrib from the
~gbuddy/nawips-5.4/patches/dcgrib.tar.Z file.
The pl12 distribution last july fixed the file naming problem you report. To
install
the current version, download the tarfile into your $NAWIPS directory and
unpack with:

zcat dcgrib.tar.Z | tar xvf -

Then build and install with:

cd $NAWIPS/unidata/ldmbridge/dcgrib
make clean
make all
make install
make clean

Regarding the LDM, the memory mapped file  for the LDM product queue should be
on
a local disk since the OS must know about any changes to the file location
on disk. Generally some operating system defragmentation of disk can move
the location of files on disk.

Steve Chiswell