20000103: GARP and y2k

Gary,

There is one problem with satellite lables. The affected routine is
$GEMPAKHOME/src/gemlib/im/imar2gm.f, and I have placed an updated version of
this routine in ~gbuddy/nawips-5.4/patches/imar2gm.f

This routine is also used by all the text interface programs which
display satellites with the SATFIL variable.

You can download this file into the $GEMPAKHOME/src/gemlib/im directory
and patch your distribution with:

cd $GEMPAKHOME/src/gemlib/im
make clean
make all
make clean

cd $GARPHOME
make all
make install
make clean

cd $GEMPAKHOME/src/programs/
make all
make install
make clean

Sorry for omitting that routine in the patch. Nsat also needs to be updated
if you use that program (but Garp basically alleviates the need). If you do,
then in $NAWIPS/nprogs/nsat/source/file.c, around line 79 should be updated
from:

        sprintf(tmpdate, "%s %s 19%s", day, months[m-1], year);

to:

        if(year[0] < '2')
           sprintf(tmpdate, "%s %s 20%s", day, months[m-1], year);
        else
           sprintf(tmpdate, "%s %s 19%s", day, months[m-1], year);

As for trouble reading other file types (surface, upperair, model, etc),
check the $GARPHOME/config/Garp_defaults file for the templates at
the bottom of the file, to make sure they match how your data is
being stored. In the patch distribution, I made the patterns match YYYYMMDD
file naming (rather than 2 digit YYMMDDHH) naming. If you are storing your
data with 2 digit years, then you will want to use the patterns that are
commented out just above the YYYY set at the bottom.

Steve Chiswell
Unidata User Support