19991129: GEMPAK's Virtual Potential Temperature Calculations

Lisa,

The virtual potential temperature uses virtual temperature TVRK
which provides:
$GEMPAKHOME/source/gemlib/pr/prtvrk.f
   PR_TVRK  ( TMPC, DWPC, PRES )

--> TVRK = TMPK * (1 + .001 * MIXR / .62197) / (1 + .001 * MIXR)

Where MIXR is obtained from:
   PR_MIXR  ( DWPC, PRES )

The mixing ratio is calculated from DWPC and PRES. If the air is saturated,
then DWPC = TMPC, and therefore the mixing ratio is the saturated mixing
ratio. That is, if your environment is saturated, then TMPC=DWPC,
and therefore MIXR = MIXS.

Steve Chiswell
Unidata User Support