19991116: Question on Dcreanal

>From: Sang-Ok Han <address@hidden>

>Hi,
>
>I am trying to install "dcreanal" to convert netcdf file into gempak.
>I managed to succeed in compiling the executable dcreanal*.
>However I failed to install ("make install"). Is this because I am not a
>superuser?
>
>Even though I failed to install I tried to run the execution file
>dcreanal with a test netcdf file. It produced nothing with messages like
>this:
>  Changing center table to cntrgrib1.tbl
>  Changing vertical coord table to vcrdggrib1.tbl
>  Changing WMO parameter table to ncarncep1.tbl
>  Changing center parameter table to ncarncep1.tbl
>
>If you have any idea on this I'd like hear from you.
>I will really appreciate your help with this.
>Thanks very much.
>
>Sang-Ok Han.

Sang-Ok,

To install the software you would have to have write permision in the
$GEMEXE directory, but you can run the program anywhere as long
as you have sourced the Gemenviron environmental variables - which
it appears you have since the messages from the program indicate
it found the parameter tables.

Dcreanal is used to convert NCAR/NCEP reanalysis grids from NetCDF
to GEMPAK as follows:
dcreanal netcdf_file_name gempakname_YYYYMM.gem

It is a commandline driven program which uses the NetCDF filename you
provide to read the grids from NetCDF and write them out to the
GEMPAK file. Typically you should use the YYYYMM template in the output
gempak file name (which will be replaced by the year/month of the
data. Since Reanalysis files usually contain an entire year, it
is generally necessary to break them up into monthly Gempak files.

Steve Chiswell