19991027: Gempak download information

Mace,

I have been notified by Donna West that the license for WKU is now updated.

The information you need to download gempak is:
host: ftp.unidata.ucar.edu
login: gbuddy
passwd: XXXXXX

Here are the general source building instructions, however,
since you mentioned you were interested in running under RedHat Linux,
you can obtain the binary distribution for Linux since you will
otherwise need a third party Motif to build.

The source distribution is found under
~gbuddy/nawips-5.4/gempak54upc_pl12.tar.gz

The current tar file is patched through patch level 12.

To build Gempak from source, download and unpack the distribution into
a clean directory. Edit the csh file Gemenviron in the top directory
and define the NAWIPS environmental variable to be the directory you
unpacked into. Source the Gemenviron variables into your csh
environment to define $NAWIPS and all the tree locations relative to
NAWIPS. Then, if your system is standard configuration for Solaris,
Solaris for Intel (X86) IRIX, OSF/1, AIX, Linux, HPUX- you should be able
to just type "make all", followed by "make install" when the compilation
finishes.
If you have libraries in non-standard places, then the
$NAWIPS/config/Makeinc.xxxxx
file for your OS would have to be modified. You should not modify the
optimization levels since some compilers don't work well with aggressive
optimization.

Documentation for GEMAPK can be found as postscript files under
the $NAWIPS/doc/User_Guide directory, as well as online at:
http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/packages/gempak/tutorial/

All users that use Gempak should source Gemenviron into their csh
environment to define the Gempak variables and add the executable
directory into their path. Once the distribution is installed,
you can edit the data directory locations defined in Gemenviron-
but thats not a priority for building.

Following from your previous question regarding Redhat Linux 6.0,
I'll reattatch that conversation which outlines how to download and
install the binary Linux distribution:

Mace,

Red Hat 6.0 comes with glibc 2.1 which will not link against the Motif 2.1
library- so I have built all the standard Gempak programs under 6.0, and
have the GUI programs from 5.2 until someone comes out with a compatible
Motif distribution. Unless you have Motif, you can't build the GUI
programs (Garp, NSAT, NWX, NTRANS, NSHARP) anyhow.

The statndard programs compiled under 5.2 seem to have problems with
the message queues under 6.0, so the old binaries aren't compatible with
6.0. Since the GUI programs don't use the message queues, those binaries
are fine.

The Gempak Linux binary distribution is found under
~gbuddy/nawips-5.4/binary/linux

The tarfile gempak5.4_pl12_linux.tar.gz contains the 5.2 binaries as well
as all tables and mapfiles used by gempak.

Under this directory you will find: redhat6.0/linux60_progs.tar.gz
which contains the executables for RedHat 6.0.

So, for your 6.0 system, download and unpack the first tarfile,
then download and unpack the second tarfile so the 6.0 executables
will overwrite those in the bin/linux subdirectory.

Tha should be it.

Steve Chiswell
Unidata User Support

On Thu, 23 Sep 1999, Mace Bentley wrote:

> Steve,
>
> Hello, I am early in the process of installing the LDM and NAWIPS suite of
> products on a server running RedHat 6.0 and have heard through the
> grapevine that the GEMPAK (and LDM for that matter) installs will not
> work properly because of a compiler switch from true gcc compilers to
> gsrc versions in LINUX 6.0.  I was told that I would need to use the gcc
> compilers from RH LINUX 5.2. I was planning on doing a binary
> installation and saw through the archives that a linux 6.0 version of
> gempak was made. Are there any problems that you know of?
>
> Thanks!
>
> Dr. Mace Bentley
> Kentucky Climate Center
> Western Kentucky University