19991006: Using topographic AREA files in GEMPAK/GARP

Justin,

Once you have the AREA file created, it is fairly easy to add it
to the Garp display.

1) Add the AREA file into the $GARPHOME/map/areas directory

2) Edit the $GARPHOME/config/Garp_defaults file and add your AREA file
   name to the colormapkeys list and your desired menu button string
   to match in colormaplabels.

The last thing will be to define an enhancement table that you
want to use with the data. The continental area images from
McIDAS that I provided have a sensor source = 11, and band = 1.
So I defined in $GEMTBL/sat/imgtyp.tbl "TOPO" with:

IR            0    255     11      1      1 upc_topo.tbl

This defines the data range from 0 to 255 for sensor 11, band 1
with raw values to use the upc_topo.tbl which is found in
$GEMTBL/luts directory. Or, you can use the default linear gray.

You can also add your enhancement to the Garp enhancements menu
by adding the $GEMTBL/luts file name to the
$GARPHOME/tables/sat_enhance.tbl list (you can omit the .tbl
file name extension from this list).

Steve Chiswell
Unidata User Support