19990923: mailbox error messages

Mike,

I recall replying to this message on about September 1.

Basically, here is what I would guess the problem is:
gsmode.f and gsgprj.f are gplt library routines as well
as appl library routines.

Its likely that the wrong routine is being called due to
an incorrect compile link line.

For a program like gdmap for instance, if you look at
the Makefile in $GEMPAKHOME/src/programs/gd/gdmap/Makefile,
you will see:

$(PROG) : $(ALIB) $(LIBINC) $(PROG.f)
        $(LINK.f) $(PROG.f) $(ALIB) $(LIBINC) -o $@

which will generate:
f77 gdmap.f gdmap.a **LIBINC** -o gdmap

Where libinc is defined in the makefile as:
gemlib.a appl.a syslib.a gemlib.a

Notice that gplt.a is not in there. gplt,a can only be
directly linked in programs such as the GUIs which
eliminate the message queues by using the alternative
ginitp_alt.o and gendp_alt.o routines.

If you indescriminately link the program against gplt.a,
then the routine will bomb when it tries to write
the data from the appl mailbox to the gplt process.
The program will expect to talk to the gplt process across
the mailbox using the message queues- and if you are
linking to the wrong routine, things will be fouled up since the gplt
process will not be able to hook up to the mailbox.

If you still have problems, please send me the link line you are using.

Steve Chiswell
Unidata User SUpport