19990903: NIDS scouring; GARP file mask setup

>From: Anthony Rockwood - MSCD Meteorology <address@hidden>

Tony,

Don is at home today since Diana is out of town.

>It looks to me that my NIDS data are coming in but never getting purged
>out.  Do I have to set something to specify the amount of data I want to
>keep (scouring ?).

Yes.  Chiz put a C shell script in the GEMPAK distribution that can be used
to scour NEXRAD data files.  The script is named prune_nexrad.csh;
we execute it out of our cron as:

15 * * * * util/prune_nexrad.csh

I just looked and saw that prune_nexrad.csh can be found in the
/usr/local/gempak/NAWIPS-5.4/bin/scripts directory.  In the file is
a variable called KEEP that is configured to be the number of NIDS
files of any type that you want to keep on your system.  Chiz sends
this out set to 60, so that is where I would start.

>I think I have almost a week's worth of FTG data in
>there now, and it keeps growing.

You need to setup the cron entry in the 'ldm' account.  I would recommend
copying prune_nexrad.csh to the ~ldm/util or ~ldm/decoders directory
and then editing that copy.  Again, you will have to modify KEEP (if
you want more or less numbers of files) and you will have to set the
directory path for the toplevel of the NEXRAD tree or pass the
directory on the invocation command line.

>Also, on my old laptop, garp runs fine but bombs when I ask for radar
>data.  Could this be related to the new name convention of the files?

Could be.  Did you setup the file name masks for GARP on your laptop?

>Thanks,
>Tony

Tom

>From address@hidden  Sat Sep  4 07:32:35 1999