19990831: displaying grid files

Chris,

To convert a plain text file into a gempak gridded file, your ascii
file would need to be in the format that "gdlist" outputs. Then,
you would runn the "gdedit" program to import the grid into the
gempak file you created with "gdcfil".

However,
In the Gempak distribution, I have a program called dcreanal which
will convert NCEP reanalysis files from NetCDF to Gempak format
which may be a much easier process provided your grid is a standard
CED grid and not a gaussian grid.

To build dcreanal you need the NetCDF library installed- presumably you
already have this if you have dumped out the data previously.
Edit the $NAWIPS/config/Makeinc.common file and define the NETCDFINC
and NETCDF variables to point to your netcdf include and library file
respectively. Then build dcreanal with:

cd $NAWIPS/unidata/ldmbridge/dcreanal
make clean
make all
make install
make clean

The dcreanal program isn't built by default since it relies on you having
already installed the NetCDF library.

To run dcreanal,

dcreanal netcdffile gemfile_YYYYMM.gem

Use the YYYYMM template in the gempak output file name to get monthly
output gempak files (since the reanalysis files are generally
a year at a time and Gempak can only hold 200 times in a single file).

Steve Chiswell
Unidata User Support