19990830: MD files now updating

>From: Anthony Rockwood - MSCD Meteorology <address@hidden>

Tony-

>McIDAS seems to be running on both the server and clients this morning!
>Most products are available from the MCGUI menu system - but some aren't.
>I'll have a look at which ones and ask you when I get a chance.

Good.  Let us know which things are not available.  I think we have
everything (all decoders) set up.  The things that may not work are
grid access for the NGM and MRF data and NIDS access through the
GUI.  Through the F-Key Menu, NIDS should work.  The F-Key Menu in
7.6 uses ADDE commands.  Eventually, the GUI will too.

>I only have one remaining problem with GEMPAK - I don't know how to run
>it.  Can you refer me to instructions on how to set up NTL so I can run
>GARP and NWX?

The problem (if you are trying to run this from the gempak account)
is that the user gempak on your system is set up to use the Bourne
Shell (/bin/sh) rather than the C-Shell.  All the GEMPAK programs
rely heavily on environment variables being set in the Gemenviron
file which is a C-Shell style script.  If you are not using the
C-Shell, you need to either:

1) Type csh at the prompt before starting ntl

2) Modify Gemenviron to be a Bourne Shell script and put the reading
of that file in gempak's .profile.

If you are trying to run out of another account other than GEMPAK,
you need to set up the environment variables in the Gemenviron
file either by reading the file in your own .cshrc (C Shell) or
in your .profile (Bourne Shell).

A third option is to make a script called startntl or something
like that which will put you in the C Shell and source Gemenviron.

The easiest thing to do is to use the C Shell for users that want
to run GEMPAK and McIDAS, since that is the preferred (and documented)
way of doing things.

Don Murray