19990826: wxbox setup

Tony-

I ran into some problems with the building of GEMPAK using gcc/f2c
on Solaris X86 which we have to resolve.  So, I downloaded the
binary version and the libraries and installed it on your system.
Here's what all I did:

1) Downloaded gempak5.4_pl12_x86.tar.gz to /usr/local/gempak/NAWIPS-5.4
and unpacked the file.

2) Downloaded: libF77.so.4
               libM77.so.2
               libsunmath.so.1
   and put them in /usr/lib (had to be super user).

3) Created the directory structure for the GEMPAK decoders in
   /var/data/ldm/gempak:

                         |-acars---------

                         |-hds-----------

                         |-images--------|-sat---------

                         |-logs----------

                         |-mos-----------

                         |-nldn----------
/var/data/ldm/gempak-----|
                         |-profiler------

                         |               |-ffg----------
                         |               |-sels---------
                         |               |
                         |-storm---------|-tropic-------|-cpacific----
                         |               |              |-epacific----
                         |               |              |-wpacific----
                         |               |-watches------

                         |-surface-------

                         |-upperair------

(I've asked Chiz to note in the docs that this needs to be done)

4) Copied the $GEMEXE/dc* programs over to ~ldm/decoders since that
   is where the pqact.conf entries say they reside.

5) Set up a cron entry to run the nsat_links script.  See:

http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/packages/gempak/GEMPAK5.4/configuration.html

I edited this script to set the correct location of the AREA files.

6) Set up the crontab entries listed in the configuration steps of
the LDM.  See:

http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/packages/ldm/ldmConfigInstallList.html

7) added an entry to rotate the ldm-mcidas log file.

8) In pqact.conf,

   - I downloaded the latest version of the GEMPAK decoders actions from
     the page:
     http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/packages/gempak/tutorial/pqact/decoders.tbl
     and removed the old entries.  I had to change the location of
     the gempak home directory from /home/gempak to /usr/local/gempak

   - I changed the output of the GEMPAK decoders to put
     all their output in /var/data/ldm/logs/dcgem.log.  This way, you can
     rotate the one log file.  I added an entry into LDM's crontab to rotate
     the log file.

   - I removed the entry for gunrv2 since there are no more grids coming
     across in the MCIDAS data feed.

9) I downloaded the decoders package and put ldmConnect in the ~ldm/decoders
   directory.  This is needed for the nwx entries.

10) I changed the format of your NIDS files to use the century in the
    file names.  The Garp configuration file is set up to find files
    in this new format.

11) I created a link in /var/data/ldm/gempak/images/sat called NIDS
    to /var/data/ldm/nexrad/NIDS so GARP could find them.

12) I set up the prune_nexrad.csh script in gempak's crontab to
    keep the number of radar files down to a minimum.

13) I copied over the mcscour.sh script from /usr/local/mcidas/workdata
    to ~ldm/util and added an entry in the crontab to run this so your
    McIDAS data will be scoured.  See:

    http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/packages/mcidas/mcx/xcd_start.html

14) I stopped and restarted your LDM.

I'm going to let things run for a while and see what the fallout is.
Before you can run GEMPAK programs on your system, you'll need to set
the display to be 8-bit.  Again, if you can't get Kurt to help you
in a timely manner, I'll help you over the phone.

Things that still need to be done:

1) configure your backup feed site and put an entry in cron for
ldmfail.  See:

http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/packages/ldm/ldmConfigInstallList.html

Others yet to be determined....

Don

From:      Anthony Rockwood - MSCD Meteorology <address@hidden>
Date:      Thu, 26 Aug 1999 15:22:04 -0600

Don,

Thanks for the update.  Remember, I don't expect you to be doing work that
I can do with some simple instructions - but it's always appreciated. I've
notified Kurt that we need to re-configure the X-server.

I'll wait for your next instructions,

Tony