19990820: Gempak distribution - clarification

>From: Anthony Rockwood - MSCD Meteorology <address@hidden>

Tony-

>Should I be getting
>
>/nawips-5.4/gempak54upc_pl12.tar.gz
>
>         or
>
>/nawips-5.4/binary/solaris_X86/gempak5.4_pl12_x86.tar.gz

It depends whether you want to build from scratch or do a binary
install.  If you build from scratch, you need the first one.
If you want to do a binary install, you will need the
second one and...

>And do I need any of the other files in the /solaris_X86/ directory ?

If you do the binary install, you will need to download the
lib* files and place them in /usr/lib since this was built
with the native SUN compilers.

I would urge you to build it yourself.  You have less of a chance
of having problems in the future when different compilers are used
here and you would also have the option of doing incremental patches
as they become available.  But, you can save a couple of hours
of a build by using the binaries.

Don