[no subject]

>From: "Jim St. John" <address@hidden>

Jim-

Chiz is on vacation, so I'll try to help out as much as I can.

>We are still having trouble with our machine lou and Gempak graphics.
>We had to leave it alone for a while as we got caught up with high
>priority stuff. We gave up on the Xvfb, Mark  checked with Linux groups
>on the net and double checked the installation.  Everything was as it
>should be yet it still doesn't work.  We installed a different graphics
>card in the machine and set the display to 1024 x 768.  Now when we set
>the display to 0 we get the "not enough colors" error.  We get this no
>matter what kind of windows setup we display on the monitor, including
>Xinit.  The only thing I can think of doing is to tear it down and
>reinstall everything from scratch again.  Can you think of something we
>might be doing wrong or anything else we might try?

When you get the not enough colors message, is this when you
run ntl?  If so, how many colors does it say you have vs how many
you need?  You can reduce the number of colors that the NAWIPS
programs need by adding some flags to ntl.  I usuually have to
run as ntl -s 96 which requests only 96 shades of grey for sat images.
See:

http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/packages/gempak/tutorial/administration.html

for information on the options that ntl supports.

Here are some other things to check:

1) Make sure the default visual for your workstation is 8-bit.
GEMPAK won't run in 24 bit mode.  You can run xdpyinfo to
see what your setup is like.

2) If you have netscape running on your system, it will suck up
a lot of colors.  I run with netscape -install so it will install
a private color map.   You can also use the -ncols flag for
netscape to set the number of colors to use.

3) If you are using any Tcl/Tk widgets that have color icons,
they suck up lots of colors.  Close down any graphical programs
and then see if you still have the color problems.

Reinstalling GEMPAK should not change the color problem.  It is
usually a conflict between other applications that are running.
If none of the above suggestions help, send the make and model
of your graphics card and I'll see what other suggestions I
can come up with.  I'm assuming you are running Linux, so if that
is not the case, let me know.

Don Murray