19990804: GEMPAK/METAR question

Scot,

To view METAR data within Gempak, it must first be
decoded into a Gempak surface file.

Gempak requires prior conversion of the data from METAR into
a Gempak surface file since:

1) There is no station location information in a Metar observation.
   METARs only contain a station ID, but no lat lon info. You have to
   look up that information in a separate table- which takes time.
   Gempak places all that info in the Gempak file once. If you
   want "on-the-fly" displays, then you will be spending alot of
   time looking for station locations.

2) Storing data into a decoded format is more efficient since you
   only have to decode the data once. Retrieval from the data base
   is much faster. On-the-fly decoding would be much slower.

The GEMPAK surface file is binary. I know that WXP uses an ASCII formatted
decoded file to use with its plot programs, it still must be decoded into
that format- but remains ASCII readable. WXP is available from Unisys.

Steve Chiswell
Unidata User Support