19990723: Shape Files

I did write a program to convert shape map files to ascii files which
could then be used with Gempak's ssfgsf to convert to Gempak format.

Typically, shape files have different names for each feature that
they contain, so it requires a little tweaking for each data set.

Also, since the number of verticies can be very large, I had to up the
array size in ssfgsf.f itself. I could either tar up the program with
a sample AWIPS file I converted and give you the basic description,
or I could convert one of your files and provide that to you as an
example. In either case, if any of the map data bases would be
useful to universities, I would be interested in seeing them.
I am in the middle of preparing or Gempak workshop for next week
so time as available.

BTW, the name is Steve Chiswell, or Chiz, but not Chris.

Chiz

Dr. Steve Chiswell
Unidata User Support