1999716: Gempak Questions

>From: Mark Tucker <address@hidden>

>Hi, I'm in the process of updating our lab.  All our machines are running
>Linux 2.0.36 (Debian 2.1).   I've got gempak installed on
>an NFS mounted drive as well as our data.  I've run into a couple of
>problems:
>
>1. Missing NIDS.  NIDS does not appear as an option in the Image Products
>dialog.  It does list GOES-10, GOES-8 etc. as expected but NIDS is missing
>as an option.  I have verified that the data is in the correct location.
>The Gemenvironment appears to be setup correctly and is getting "sourced"
>correctly by the user.  I also examined Garp_defaults and that seems to be
>correct as well.  I don't know what else to check that might be causing
>this problem.

Mark,

If you your nids data under $SAT/NIDS, then make sure your Garp_defaults
has the line:
nids            : $(SAT)/NIDS

Check for differences in "NIDS" vs "nids" as directory names. Note that you
have to restart Garp after changing the defaults file.

>2. Model data.  This problem is similar to the NIDS issue above.
>Currently we can only see AVN and ECMWF.  No changes to our data
>ingestion have been made.

When you say you are updating your lab, are you loading a new version of
the Gempak distribution? I have changed some of the model keys in
the pl11 distribution since NOAAport has several ETA grids, AVN, MRF etc.

Peviously the model key would be "eta", now it is "eta_grid211" with
similar changes in the pqact.conf entry for dcgrib naming the
files with YYYYMMDDHH_eta_grid@@@.gem.

If this isn't it, then it would help to see the output of:
ls $HDS
and your Garp_defaults.

>3. ACARS data.  We would like to add ACARS data for use under Gempak.  I
>saw the announcement on this a while back but have not been able to find
>the necessary changes to our pqact.conf on your web site.  Also, it
>appears that I will need some additional decoders for this, correct?  What
>do I need and how should it be configured?

dcacars, acprof and nsharp are in the pl11 linux tar file (I will
be reposting this file next week as pl12 with a Garp 2.02 update).

The acars LDM data comes directly from FSL, so you have to contact them
directly
to get them to feed the "PCWS" feed type to you.

To decode into half hourly files, the pattern will look like:
PCWS    ^FSL\.NetCDF\.ACARS\.QC
        PIPE    -close  dcacars -l data/gempak/logs/dcacars.log -b 30
        -e GEMTBL=/home/gempak/NAWIPS-5.4/gempak5.4/tables
        data/gempak/acars/YYYYMMDDHHNN_acars.gem

Here is the ACARS announcement regarding contacting FSL: