19990630: Gempak Scripts under Linux

Jim,

The /etc/X1.hosts file is not associated with building
the server. Rather, it is a file you create with the text editor
to define which machines you will let connect to the virtual
server. This is the equivalent of your "xhost + machine"
command, but this is a lists of allowed hosts loaded at startup.

While we built the Xvfb server on our solaris machine,
it should be part of the standard RedHat installation for
Linux, so I did not expect that Mark would have had to build it.

If you are getting error messages from Xvfb when you try to
launch it as root, then it soulds like your path or installation
is not what is expected.

If Xvfb loads sucessfully, then you should see it in the process
list, and it should read in the X1.hosts file.

Steve Chiswell
Unidata User Support