19990616: Gempak Scripts and Linux

Jim,

The DISPLAY variable should be set to the screan and display number
not the x/y dimensions of your screen.

So, setenv DISPLAY localhost:0 should be adequate so long as someone is
logged in to the console and has allowed the user running the crontab
to acess the display, AND... the user logged in to the console hasn't
eaten up all the available colors by running something like netscape, or
someother color intensive application like a window manager that uses
lots of colors.

One way to deal with the problem of needing a display to write to is to
use the Xvfb virtual frame buffer to create a display in memory like:
/usr/X11R6.3/bin/Xvfb :1 -screen 0 1280x1024x8 &

then  setting your DISPLAy to localhost:1

Steve CHiswell
Unidata User Support