19990604: Fun with Linux and Gempak

>From: "Jim St. John" <address@hidden>

>I've got LDM up and runnig but my Gempak installtion came to an immediate
>screeching halt with this:
>
>[stjohn@lou]$ source Gemenviron
>Setting to decmaps
>[stjohn@lou]$ echo $NA_OS
>linux
>[stjohn@lou]$ csh
>[stjohn@lou]$ make all >& make.out &
>[1] 20562
>[stjohn@lou]$ more make.out
>make: *** No rule to make target `all'.  Stop.
>[1]  + Exit 2
>
>What did I forget to do?
>
>Jim St. John
>
>--
>* Dr. Jim St. John                                     *
>* Research Scientist                                   *
>* School of Earth and Atmospheric Sciences             *
>* Georgia Institute of Technology                      *
>* Phone:       404-894-1754                            *
>* Fax:         404-894-1106                            *
>* e-mail:      address@hidden                  *
>* Homepage:    http://louisxiv.eas.gatech.edu/~stjohn  *

Jim,

If you downloaded the Linux binary distribution, eg:
~gbuddy/nawips-5.4/binary/linux/gempak5.4_plxx_linux.tar.gz
Then there is no source to build. The programs are all ready to
run as soon as you source Gemenviron.

If you are trying to build from the source distribution, then
you must have patch level 8 source tarfile or later to build on Linux,
and you must have Motif (you have to buy this separately since its not
included with Linux, ~$149) to build the GUI programs like
Garp, Ntrans, NWX, NSAT.

Other fun things needed to build on Linux include f2c to compile all
the fortran code. F2c comes with Redhat linux. g77 won't work.

Steve Chiswell