19990603: creating satellite animation from gifs

Donna,

the convert line I showed accepts gifs and produces an
animated gif without any intermediate pnm files.

Since you had mentioned animated gifs in your previous message, I assumed
that was the output you were refering to. I do show some examples on the
gempak page for producing mpegs- which are different from animated gifs-
but since most web browsers now support looping animated gifs, they are
what I typically use, eg the lightning animation at:
http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/packages/gempak/examples/lightning/lightning.html

Imagemagick can accept any number of different input formats and produce
a wide range of output formats. In the example I sent you today,
the file extension .gif defines that the output would be to a ltgloop.gif
gif format file which would be suitable for viewing as an animated gif.

I'll update the gempak examples to show how I arrive at the enimated lightning
gif file.

Steve Chiswell
Unidata User Support